The Session is the governing body of the church. This group of Elders connects and oversees all the various programs and ministries in the life of our church. The Session of First Presbyterian Church of Tupelo consists of our pastor, Clerk of the Session, and 18 Elders who are elected by the congregation for three-year terms. The Session is charged with managing the programs, ministries, and life of our Church.
According to the Presbyterian Church (USA) Book of Order, responsibilities of the Session are as follows:
- Provide for worship, including preaching, music, and communion.
- Provide for growth of our members through personal and pastoral care, educational programs, fellowship, and opportunities for service.
- Receive members into the church.
- Provide for administration of the church and management of church property.
- Delegate and supervise the work of the committees.
- Maintain relationships with higher governing bodies of the church.
- Provide stewardship of money, time, and talents given by the members.
- Lead the congregation in ministries of personal and social healing and reconciliation in the community.
- Lead the congregation in participation in the mission of the whole Church in the world.
- Lead the congregation continually to discover what God is doing in the world, and to plan for change, renewal, and reformation under the Word of God.
Our Session delegates much of its work to seven committees, each of which is chaired by a member of the Session and includes members from the congregation-at-large. First Presbyterian’s committees are as follows:
- Administrative / Stewardship
- Christian Education
- Congregational Care
- Outreach / Mission
- Property & Grounds
Joining a committee is a great way to contribute to the church and our own spiritual growth while enjoying yourself and getting to know others in our congregation. All members of the church are welcome to participate in the work of these committees and are urged to use their time and talents to enrich themselves, our church, and our community.
The Fellowship Committee provides fellowship opportunities and events which bring church members and guests together in order to strengthen our relationships with each other and with God. Some committee responsibilities include: dinner for Wednesday Night …..(to be completed)
Administrative / Stewardship
The Outreach Mission Committee seeks to discover the mission needs and opportunities within God’s community and to facilitate involvement of members and friends to promote God’s love through service. This committee provides support, funding and volunteer time to many worthy causes, both local and global projects.
Projects include: Habitat for Humanity, Helping Hands Food Pantry, Guatemala Water and Medical Mission, Cuba Water and Medical Mission, Operation Christmas Child, … (incomplete)
Property & Grounds
The Property and Grounds Committee is responsible for the maintenance and repair of the church’s facilities, vehicles, and grounds.
The Congregational Care Committee touches all aspects of church life, from fellowship to mission to cares and concerns. We are responsible for programs and activities that are designed to welcome and assimilate new members, and to encourage all members and friends of First Presbyterian Church to actively participate in the life of the church.
The Christian Education Committee oversees and supports educational opportunities for our congregation and community, providing diverse, nurturing and spiritually challenging opportunities for all ages. Programs include, but are not limited to Sunday School classes, Vacation Bible School, Adult Bible study, Youth activities.
The Worship Committee makes provision for Sunday worship services and for special services throughout the year, preparing the sacraments, ensuring that our music program is complete, scheduling elders to serve communion, and maintaining sanctuary continuity. The committee also oversees weddings and funerals.